Saturday, May 20, 2006

An Unexected Event Challenges
Patience * Peace * Quiet

Yesterday I needed to be in Natick for an early morning seminar. The day was dry and clear; MapQuest assured me I could do this drive in under an hour and a half. My target was to arrive by 8:30; the seminar started at 9:00 but that would give plenty of time for coffee and registration.

So, carrying an umbrella (just in case) and my ever-present travel mug of coffee, off I went. By the time I was on Route 495 it was raining.

Buckets.

Sheets.

Blinding water.

Traffic thickened and slowed. I started running behind.

Directions from MapQuest put me on I-90 for a short while and then with a fews hooks and turns I'd be at the Crowne Plaza on Route 9 in Natick.

This was not to be the case.

As I approached I-90 it was clear that something was wrong! Automobiles were jammed and coming from all points. Converging. Attempting to merge onto the on-ramp.

I could feel tension. Palpable tension. And looking briefly to my left I spotted the cause: an overturned tanker truck cross-wise across I-90.

And the rain continued. I mean major rain; scaryrain considering the 12-inch rainfall of recent days.

Well, at the end of the day, it turned out the tanker was carrying propane and both the east- and west-bound lanes of I-90 remained closed for the day and the traffic back-up lasted for ten hours. The chemical had to be drawn out of the tanker before it could be moved, dangerous indeed.

I did finally get to the seminar but it was 11 o'clock and I was two and half hours late. And I was tired. Wired. Frustrated. Cranky. Sweaty.
But the presenters were good; the information useful and I came away pleased that I had doggedly pursued my destination.

And one the way home later that day, I treated myself to a shop that I have only visited online and that was a truly wonderful glorious redeeming part of the day.

1 comment:

jackie said...

Thanks for finding my blog. The shop sound fabulous. I have used silk strippings to make silk paper and ,as you have seen, both the carrier rods and mawata caps. I know the Hankies are also made from softened cocoons and used mainly for spinning - but I don't at the moment know of any other use. I have been using pieces of the caps as a background and stitching over them with a double needle. I will be posting a pic at some point.