Friday, September 29, 2006


"The full soul tramples upon the honeycomb,
but to the hungry soul, any bitter thing tasts sweet.
Proverbs 27:7

I just discovered Monica Wood, a Maine writer, and this fabulous book published by Ballantine Books in 2005. And, what a find! What a story-teller! What delicious prose: Wood's use of language is imaginative and captivating; she creates compelling word pictures.

Oh, and by the way, the citation from Proverbs is the book's opening.

Frankly, I wanted to give up everything and just keep on turning the pages of her book. It is the story of a friendship, a marriage, and a search for a past. Lizzy Mitchell, orphaned at the age of two, is raised by her only caring relative, a Catholic priest in rural Maine which in itself is an unusual plot twist. But the book opens nearly 30 years later with a horrific accident that becomes the counter-point to the story of Lizzy's childhood.

One reviewer called it a story of "desertion, trust, faith and forgiveness". Another reviewer said "it is exquisite, soul-satisfying" and, finally, another said it is an "intimate exploration of faith and love, betrayal and penance". And, I recommend it highly and without reserve.

I googled the authors name http://www.monicawood.com and found a delightful, appealing and informative website and, best of all, several more books by Wood. On the website, she has included tips for writers and other items of interest. Take a look.

2 comments:

C. Robin Janning said...

Pat, thanks so much for the link. I just read an excerpt from "Any Bitter Thing" on her web site, and now I am hooked. I must find and read the this book.

Anonymous said...

Pat, I have always believed that by reading the first line of a book I could tell if it could keep my attention. What a wonderful opening for this one.