Tuesday, September 26, 2006


This is a Black Throated Grey Warbler!

And I am not a birder. And I don't play one on the internet.

But while Larry and I were on Appledore Island several weekends ago, there was a great buzz about the sighting of this bird. It was seen in a tree just off the large deck outside the dining commons on Friday night and again on Saturday morning.

What's so special about that you might be asking?

Well, this bird lives in thegreat northwestern regions (USA and Canada); it winters in warmer climes like Mexico and is not usually seen in New England. In fact, this sighting was the first ever sighting on Appledore. This is significant because there is a bird banding station out there and birders find Appledore an appealing spot. I'm told that this sighting would make in to the Maine Rare Bird Sightings list.

Well, I was curious about this phenomenon and asked my questions of the friendly birders who are more than generous with information.

Did you you know that birds fly groups of mixed varieties?
Sometimes a single bird will join a group of other birds - not his relatives - and travel with them for a while - stop somewhere and then join another group for more flying.

Which is probably what our little warbler on Appledore did and .....got a little off home-base, I'd say.

But lordy, isn't it a beauty!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting stuff Pat. Funny how all these little creatures can find their way around the world and I can remember where I park my car at the store. Maybe it ain't that funny afterall.

Anonymous said...

that should have been i can't remember

Anonymous said...

Hi Pat, I see you visited my blog and I appreciate that. Brenda, may wife, used to volunteer at a safe house a couple days a week. She quit about the time I got dx'd.

Take care and be well.