Monday, September 18, 2006


Winding roads that seem to beckon you.........This past weekend, we spent a lovely long weekend on Cape Cod. Drove down on Friday and returned today. On Sunday, I took a solo drove down Route 6a, one of the most beautiful roads in America, I think. It winds through little towns ~~~ Sandwich, Barnstable, Brewster, Orleans, dotted with antique shops, b&bs, restaurants, glorious architecture and green farm land. Tomatoes, pumpkins, asters, mums: A lush world in September.
Miles of sand beneath the sky so blue......The weather was grand each day: clear blue skies; perfect late summer temps in the seventies. We stayed in Falmouth where I once lived for a short while in my twenties as a new bride. Too many years ago to say. The hotel we stayed in is at the head of the of Falmouth Harbor looking out towards the islands of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard.
With every turn on yet another lovely road, I hummed that song.
And I even remember Patti Paige.
How's that for an admission!

2 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

I remember that song. My mom used to have that record & she played it a lot! I was disallusioned by it. When I finally got to go to Cape Cod, I was looking for the windswept beaches & I was taken to Hyannisport. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. They told me we had to go to Provincetown for what I was looking for.
My DH is from New Bedford.

Pat said...

Hi Deb,
I didn't know you and DH had connections to New England. When you come to MA for a visit, I'll take you the Cape (my way) and you'll love it. Pat