Thursday, February 01, 2007


Beautiful
Turn-of-the-century White Work

A wedding dress of white batiste
fragile, soft, feminine
Embellished with heavily padded white work

We were at an auction preview when I saw these fragments of wedding fabric. They were in an old, not very attractive frame. Just sitting on a non-descript bench among other relics from other folks' past.

The framed fabric pieces did not seem to be generating interest. Except for me: I was drawn to it ~~ captivated by its untold stories.

The fabric did not come up for bid until late in the auction. When the bidding opened, there was no competition. It had, I suppose, limited extrinsic value. But for me its value was not monetary. Its value lies in its past and the questions it evokes.

Who wore this dress?
What happened to the rest of the dress?
To the marriage?

I was the only bidder and purchased the fabric for a small sum.

I don't know its truth but I know its essence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very Pretty!! Lucky you!!