Sunday, June 24, 2007

FABRIC ART MINI BOOK
A concertina-style book that folds neatly into itself and has two self-covers.
There are 6 panels on each side which give lots of scope for embellishment.

I used a variety of African-imported textiles.
The panels are embellished with kanta-style embroidery
and primitive cross-stiches and lots
of beads and buttons.
This was great fun to create.
I am using this book in a small class that I am teaching at artstream studio.

Below are 2 photos showing each side of the book.


This book doesn't have such as strong a narrative as I have done in the past.
It really was an exercise in color, texture and dimension.
When the concertina book is closed, there are 5 external spines which I beaded in several different ways. In the photos above and below, the spines are finished with beads made of bone interspersed with hand-made fabric beads that are entwined with metallic threads.


I really love the concertina book and have another that is about 95% complete.
This one is an "Homage" to Celia Thaxter.

7 comments:

Françoise said...

It's lovely Pat! I like it very much.

FARBTUPFER said...

Hi Pat, this book is so great, I love these fabrics and colours.

Momo said...

This book is really wonderful! I like the composition of fabric and color very much.

Barbara said...

what gorgeous book ! I love this one!

Anonymous said...

fabulous! love it! So many amazing details!

The Indigo Butterfly said...

It's wonderful! What beautiful finishing. The whole piece is just so inspiring... it's the kind of art you want to look at and feel and have around you all the time.

Keep up the great work!

Peggy said...

It`s a great work, with beautifull colours.