Sunday, June 25, 2006

These pieces were used to protect linens for storage.
I don't know if they had a name.
Please enlighten me if you are aware of such.

This one is cotton, rather like a chintz, I think
although I have also had some that look more like barkcloth. They usually have cotton twill for tying.

I love the floral design ~
~ what some decorators are calling,
"shabby chic" these days.
I find these lurking in the bottoms of auction boxes of linens.
Sometimes they are still rolled.
Sometimes with the cardboard (card) still inside.

After ironing, the "housewife" would lay the linens on the pretty cotton,
roll and tie them into these lovely little packages.
This, to protect the linen fibers which tend to be brittle
and can break if stored folded.



3 comments:

Beate Knappe said...

Hi Pat,
your eMail does not work, so I answer You on this Way to say Tank you for Your Comment in my Blog. And I'm thinking about to exchange some off my postcards with Your Postcards, what you think?
kind reagrds
Beate

Pat said...

Thank you Beate; I would love to make a trade with you....and have sent you an email....

Gina E. said...

Hi Pat,
I love this concept of wrapping up one's precious linens in cotton. Some experts suggest acid free tissue paper, but I don't know where to find that, and it would probably cost heaps anyway. I have cut up old cotton sheets and used them to line the drawers of the tallboy where I store my doilies and small linens. I hang the larger items in a wardrobe.