Sunday, June 25, 2006

Gina E. in Victoria Australia (Patra's Place) requested additional posts on my linen collection.

These four images are representative of embroidered linen I have found.

Above is an embroidered sampler from the American Thread Company.
35 cents was the original purchase price (first half 20th century?)

I just love the primary colors and beautiul stitching on the corner of this cloth.

This piece dates to the early 19th century, probably about 1812 or so.
It came with hand-written provenance. An exquisite find in an auction box
that I didn't know was there until I got home and found it lurking at the bottom!


Isn't this grand! An embroidered linen laundry bag.
Just imagine having the time to hand-embroider a laundry bag!


It is a pea-soup kind of day on the New Hampshire coast today.
We are socked in with rain and fog that is forecast to last the week!
And, I ask, "haven't we had quite enough of this". Such a soggy season.

Yesterday I began organizing a box of 18th and 19th century lace
purchased at auction. Lace caps, shawls, collars and berthas, flounces and trim
Fabulous handmade lace pieces from antique dresses and gowns ~
I am in heaven!



3 comments:

Nia said...

Hi Pat - visiting from Patra's Place.

Thanks for posting pics of your linen collection...the blue is very pretty - it looks like Deerfield Embroidery.

Blessings
Tannia

Pear tree cottage! said...

Pat - a big hello from Australia.

Gina is right we enjoy looking at all the lovely piece's of embroidery you both have to show us, so more please always!

Say hello to my favourite part of the world! it must be so beautiful there now. I wish for another summer in New Hampshire & Maine.

Best wishes - you have a lovely blog
Lee-ann

Gina E. said...

Hi Pat,
Thank you so much for responding to my request - these four selections from your collection are just gorgeous - each one unique, but of course you and I know, they are all unique... None of this machine done stuff for me, lol!