Friday, August 11, 2006

A Mixed Media Altered Book

I've been working in an altered book format for the last week or so. The book is a pristine old journal found at an estate sale or auction some time ago. It is cloth covered with the word, "Record" on the cover. The only writing inside was a lightly penciled name: the father of the atomic bomb. Strange, interesting, curious. I covered over the name.

Today, I want to post some the book pages in progress.
Hope
Paper, acrylic paint and distressed lace.

The lace technique was in Quilting Arts magazine and t
he finished product has great texture
(I tried getting up close and personal with the camera but still couldn't do it justice).

Here's how I did it.
Bits of antigue lace are laid over muslin to cover the entire surface. Using both straight and patterned stitches as well as free machine work, I sewed the lace tightly and then applied a thin layer of fabric glue the lace. After drying, I painted it with opaque paints and dyes. It just has so many intriguing uses: mount on driftwood, use in collage, little art quilts and so much more.

Faith
Fabric, paper, paint, fibers.
The text reads: "Last night I did not know that today it would be raining."
I received a card with this little sentence about 30 years ago and WOW just never forgot it .

The little fabric rectangle on the left is faux suede with lots of shiny fibers captured under tulle and satin stitched all around. Same deal: difficult to photograph.

Untitled, 1st spread
Paper, paint, fabric, photo fragments
Way more work to be done!

Girl Warrior I -- 1st page
Torn paper, acrylic paint, mesh ribbon, colored pencil.
She needs more work: the flowers are wishy-washy and the bottom left is totally incomplete.

I like her very much ~~ she exudes strength and purpose.

This is the cover of an antique book that is the catalyst for my altered book.
I'll post more when finished.

2 comments:

C. Robin Janning said...

Very nice, inspiring, Pat. Glad to see you back!

Susan Schwake said...

great looking pages pat! the lace technique sounds so interesting. can't wait to see it in person! over lunch? YESS! :-)
hugs,
susan