Monday, August 14, 2006


Pentimento & An Altered Book
(I love that word)

Pentimento; the freedom to change, modify what has been done.

Yesterday, I practiced pentimento on my altered book.

With more time in my playroom, more focus and more energy
than at any other time during this entire summer,
I was able to look more critically at the initial pages of my altered book.
And didn't like some of what I had done.

An altered book is a great format for pentimento:
just cover over with paper or gesso. Start over.
I did: liberating myself from what hadn't worked.
This idea of pentimento is a nice nudge to the 'inner critic'.
You know the one, that says:
"not good enough."

It was so freeing to just move away and helpful, too,
as I really like what I've done and will post them later today.

Oh by the way, the image on this post is one of Celia Thaxter's Garden on Appledore Island, one of the Isles of Shoals. Larry and I will have our annual retreat there in September with a group from the Seacoast Science Center at Odiorne Point.

No comments: