Sunday, March 25, 2007

INTIMATE NOTES!
Thanks,
Cloth, Paper, Scissors
for the inspiration

The winter issue featured a sweet little project that turned paper, ephemera and bits of stuff into note pads fashioned after purses. Several weekends ago, I spent a weekend afternoon playing in my studio/playroom to see what might emerge.

In the studio, I keep a basket of paper, fabric, trim and fiber off-cuts from other projects. I also put parts of previous projects that didn't quite make it because one never knows when a piece of this or that turned on its head might be just what is needed for a new venture.

I started this project by gathering my antique and reproduction ephemera ~~ the basket of stuff, and added some new contemporary designs just for the fun of it!

As it quite obvious, this is a black and white purse using card stock for the covers and plain text weight white paper for the inside. The purse has a strap of black rick-rack.

This purse is about the same size as the one above, black with an oriental theme. The Japanese lettering came to me a paper band around fat quarter of fabric ~~ too good to let go. Along the bottom is a metallic trim from India. The feather is real. The handle is gold metallic ribbon. The inside pages are white text weight paper. I really like the look of this one.


This little purse/note pad is very tiny and is made from decorative contemporary paper.
The image is part of an antique greeting card. The handle is made of silk fibers which also embellishes her cap.
A little bottom row of lace completes the picture.
Inside pages are text weight pastel colored paper.
She might be my favorite ~~ I just love her rosy cheeks and the dove resting on her arm.

Here is another very tiny one.
The black silk cording that I used for a handle is embellished with a hand-crafted fabric bead which unfortunately did not photograph well. This was a fun project and the little note pads can be used as small gifts or favors or tucked into a card or letter.

No comments: